Friday, October 24, 2014

Yizkor. In memory of my mother Z"L

In memory of my mother Z"L
I'd like to start this time of Yizkor sharing with you a very short explanation about a custom. In our traditions there are two opinions about Yizkor. The most common opinion is that we do not say Yizkor for a relative or a friend before the first year of the death. A minority will say Yizkor before the first yahrtzeit. In this case I am going to follow the majority and I will not be saying Yizkor for my mother this year.
That doesn't put off my desire to share with you some words about her in this special moment.
My mother was a great person. I do not have enough words to thank her for all she gave us, so let me share with you a type of ritual we had every Friday afternoon. She called or we called her and we wished each other Shabbat Shalom. We of course talked a lot during the week on the phone but before Shabbes it was that phone call that made the difference.
My mother had the stroke that ended her life on a Saturday night so the last time we talked was on Friday before Shabbat.
Unfortunately this were my last words to her: "Mom I am in a rush, sorry, Shabbat Shalom. I send you a kiss."
Sometimes we rush too much. We often live in a rush.
Among all the things my mother taught me, I believe there is one I appreciate the most. She taught me how to caress.
She spent long times caressing us.
She did it softly, gently, without any rush. We put our heads on her lap and she caressed our heads with love, with pure love.
Yizkor is the caress we can give to our souls on this holy day.
Yizkor is the time we can bring back to life the love we received and continue to give love.
Dear friends,
Please take the time to say Yizkor for those we love. Please do not rush.
Take your time to touch the souls of those who are no longer with us so you can continue caressing those who are by our side today.

No comments:

Post a Comment