Friday, September 5, 2014

Ki tetze text message


Parashat Ki Tetze (When you go out)

This section of the Torah has several rules. Towards the end of the Parasha, we find the following statement:
You shall not have in your bag two kinds of weights, a large and a small. You shall not have in your house two kinds of measures, a large and a small. A full and fair weight you shall have, a full and fair measure you shall have.
I remember as a kid going with my parents to the convenience store to buy groceries. I always admired and watched the person who sliced at the deli. He always knew exactly how many slices it took for each half pound of every different meat. He was a master.
I asked my dad: How does he know with that precision? How is he so exact? I remember my dad's answer: That is his job...
Our job this time of the year is to put things on a scale, be honest with ourselves, and do a Cheshvon hanefesh, a real balance of our actions, a balance of our spirits. Mistakes can be big or small. Our job is to be fair.

In memory of my beloved mother and teacher Miriam Rachel bat Israel Itzchak


No comments:

Post a Comment